[ltp] t42 and dual-head/mergedfb

Mon, 2 Jan 2006 00:48:43 -0500

On 12/30/05, Sebastian von Swiontek-Brzezinski <svs@talicom.de> wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:
> > On 12/29/05, Sebastian von Swiontek-Brzezinski <svs@talicom.de> wrote:
> >> hi list,
> >>
> >> i'm owning a t42 (2373-5wg) with an ati radeon 7500 (Radeon Mobility M=
7
> >> LW) with 32MB ram. I tried to connect an external monitor (a 19" tft a=
nd
> >> a possible resolution of 1280x1024) to expand my screen, not cloning. =
My
> >> ThinkPad LCD is able to show 1024x768. At first i tried to use mergedf=
b.
> >> It works, but then my thinkpad lcd has a virtual 1280x1024 resolution
> >> and i have to scroll. But i do not like this!!!
> >
> > if you are using xorg cvs/6.9/7.0 you can enable the mergedfb
> > non-rectangluar option to disable the scrolling in the smaller head.
> Okay. Thats a fine thing. I have to look how i can use that
> xorg-versions with my opensuse. They are using 6.8. Hmm...
>

> >> So i tried to use two devices, two monitors and two screens with
> >> xinerama. When I start x, my kde is on the right side open and my mous=
> >> pointer disappers. But the problem is, that the graphic card does not
> >> enable the external output and my tft gets no signal.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the following line of my xorg-log is the reason:
> >> (WW) RADEON(0): Failed to detect secondary monitor, MergedFB/Clone mod=
> >> disabled
> >
> > for some reason your second head is not being detected.  you need to
> > force it on.
> Do you mean the flag, which you described below?
>

> >> Does anybody knows, how to activate this?
> >
> > add this option to your first device section:
> > Option "monitorlayout" "LVDS, CRT"
> I tried this flag, but it does not matter. It is quite interesting: on
> booting my external display shows the same like my thinkpad lcd. But
> when my x starts, my external tft loses its signal... When i switch back
> to a console, my external tft is reconnected and shows the console.

yes, the bios and the x server program the hardware differently.  the
X server saves the state of the hardware prior to programming it
itself, so when you switch VT's the state gets saved and restored.=20
can you post your Xorg log with the monitorlayout option? something
else might pop out.

Alex