[ltp] Linux for old Thinkpads: Slackware? Vector? (etc.)

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 08:09:52 -0600

* cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> [2006 Jan 02 02:12 -0600]:
> On Monday 02 January 2006 08:26, Alex Wenzel wrote:
> > With how much memory? As an alternative to Slack-something, I was actually
> > thinking about Knoppix (because of its hardware-detection).
>
> Knoppix's hardware detection is very good.    However, it's a big full-size
> distro and almost certainly much too 'heavy' for your Thinkpads.

It can be lightened quite a bit by using a boot option to load a
desktop other than the default KDE.  For example, 'knoppix
desktop=icewm' loads the much lighter IceWM (there are several options,
actually) while 'knoppix 2' loads no GUI at all.

Unfortunately, for a hard drive install there seems to be no way to
pick and choose as it's an all or nothing proposition since it needs
about 2 GiB of drive space.  Afterward it can be pared down.

> A number of other distros use Knoppix's hardware detection routines - IIRC,
> Morphix for example.

Another good idea.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.