[ltp] Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Nate Bargmann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 2 Jan 2006 22:24:52 -0600

* Nate Bargmann <n0nb@networksplus.net> [2006 Jan 01 17:59 -0600]:
> * Martin Steigerwald <Martin@lichtvoll.de> [2006 Jan 01 15:25 -0600]:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > well maybe this is of interest here to:
> >
> > Its an easy description on how to setup 3D acceleration for any IBM
> > ThinkPad T23 user using Etch/Sid who has not yet setup 3D. According to a
> > posting of Nate Bargmann on the linux thinkpad mailing list this works
> > also with a T42 when using the radeon snapshot instead. Nate also
> > observed:
> >
> > " I notice that with udev and the stock Debian 2.6.14 kernel (Sid)
> > starting Xorg 6.9 automatically loads the savage and drm modules on the
> > T23 and the radeon and drm modules on the T42."
>
> I might as well followup here too!
>
> The xlibmesa-dri package in Sid provides the necessary radeon_dri.so
> file and places it in the right place.  It supports several other
> cards, but not the savage (yet), unfortunately.

Let me add that as of today, Jan 2, 2006, that installing the
libgl1-mesa-dri package will remove the xlibmesa-gl package, but won't
break Xorg like a couple of days ago.  The savage_dri.so file is
provided by libgl1-mesa-dri and performance is unchanged from the
manual installation method on my T23.

Painless 3D on the T23!

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.