[ltp] Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:13:13 +0100

Am Donnerstag 05 Januar 2006 13:31 schrieb Nate Bargmann:

> > Hello,
> >
> > does anyone know the reason for those different DRI driver packages
> > and the reason, why savage is not included in xlibmesa-dri?
>
> There is an existing Debian bug report on just this issue:

> The last comment seems to state authoratively, "libgl1-mesa-dri comes
> from the mesa source package, not xorg-x11."
>
> I'm not willing to download the entirety of Xorg 6.9 just to verfiy
> this claim.  At least a package exists and one does not have to resort
> to manually locating and installing a file not compiled with the rest
> of the system.

Hello Nate,

I considered installing  it, but actually I do not like this too much, as
I would like to be able to compile a KDE application spontaneously ;):

root@deepdance:/sys -> LANG=en_GB apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri/unstable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Selected version 6.3.2-2 (Debian:unstable) for libgl1-mesa-dri
  libdrm1 libgl1-mesa-dri
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kdelibs4-dev kspy libarts1-dev libglu1-xorg-dev libopenexr-dev
libqt3-mt-dev x-window-system x-window-system-core
  xlibmesa-dri xlibmesa-gl xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibosmesa-dev xlibosmesa4
  libdrm1 libgl1-mesa-dri
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 13 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.6MB of archives.
After unpacking 10.4MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

This one looks better however:
root@deepdance:/sys -> LANG=en_GB apt-get install libgl1-mesa-dri/unstable
libgl1-mesa-dri-dev/unstable mesa-common-dev/unstable
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Selected version 6.3.2-2 (Debian:unstable) for libgl1-mesa-dri
Selected version 6.3.2-2 (Debian:unstable) for libgl1-mesa-dri-dev
Selected version 6.3.2-2 (Debian:unstable) for mesa-common-dev
  libdrm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-dri-dev mesa-common-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  x-window-system x-window-system-core xlibmesa-dri xlibmesa-gl
xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibosmesa-dev xlibosmesa4
  libdrm1 libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-dri-dev mesa-common-dev
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 11.8MB of archives.
After unpacking 8380kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I think I stick with the manual installation approach unless I know more
about the background of those packaging decisions ;-) or unless
xlibmesa-dri contains the savage driver.

If libgl1-mesa-dri is to be used in future as Alex comment suggests the
x-window-system and x-window-system-core dependencies should be adjusted.
Maybe this whole affair is worth a bug report. Well I will add this to
the existing one you mentioned

Regards,