[ltp] Re: Fwd: Working 3D acceleration on IBM ThinkPad T23 ;-)

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:23:19 +0100

Am Freitag 06 Januar 2006 01:04 schrieb Eric Van Buggenhaut:

> Thanks for the details. Do you know what I have to do after installing
> libgl1-mesa-dri to have X using the r300_dri.so module ?

Hello Eric,

almost everything has been said in this thread already:

Run "glxgears" and save its output somewhere, if you want to find out the
difference between 3D acceleration or no 3D acceleration.

Have a kernel with savage DRM module. Since Linux 2.6.14 its in the
mainstream kernel source. You can use the official debian sid/etch kernel
packages or create your own kernel package. If you happen to have a IBM
ThinkPad T23 I can give you a suitable config ;-) and instructions to get
it set up with Software Suspend 2 ;-), but I also have a config which
only uses software suspend as in the kernel.

Have X.org 6.9 from sid (there is also a backport for sarge users already:
http://www.backports.org).

Install the savage DRI driver, either from the snapshot archive or just
install the package libgl1-mesa-dri ;-)

Make sure the DRI module is loaded in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "Module"
[...]
        Load    "dri"
[...]
EndSection

Restart X.org and try

glxinfo | grep -i direct

It should return:
direct rendering: Yes

When it gives a segmentation fault, reboot your machine completely and try
again.

Try "glxgears". It should report a higher framerate now.

Regards,