[ltp] T23 doesn't charge batteries anymore

Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:20:27 +0100

Hi folks,

my T23 doesn't charge the batteries anymore. I have the standard
battery and an additional UltraBay battery. Both are rather old, but
together they gave me at least 2 hours to work without AC power. Now
the battery LED only blinks a few times in orange colour when I insert
a battery, and will stay orange after this. It used to blink slowly
while charging an empty battery. But now there is now blinking and it
won't be charged.

Here is what ACPI shows about the standard battery:

$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charging
present rate:            0 mW
remaining capacity:      20 mWh
present voltage:         11373 mV

The information for the UltraBay battery looks similar. When I unplug
AC power, the ThinkPad will use the remaining power of the battery, but
it won't start charging if I plug in AC power.

I'm puzzled because with one battery I would have thought that the
battery is dead. But since both batteries won't be charged, my
impression is that the charging unit is broken.

Are there other things I could try to get the battery chared?

Regards,
Tino