[ltp] T40 - Clone XP and Linux to 60 GB disk @ 7200 RPM :^)

Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:50:42 -0500

All,

I have been trying to clone the OS (preloaded) and HPA partition to a new disk.  (Travelstar to travelstar)

40GB@5400 RPM  to  60GB@7200 RPM should be a boost for the T40 (2373-14U FWIW).

I have set the BIOS to show the HPA, but can't see it from Control Panel.

I read somewhere that the HPA is type 0x12, CPQ diag partition (??),  but should be Win95/FAT or somesuch.... Is this another way to make the HPA visible?

I have tried Scopy, and Partimaged / to replicate, but the MBR is not properly handled.

Can I use dd to grab the first 443 bytes from the orig 40 GB disk, and push it to the new disk to
fix the MBR issue? I am understanding the first 443 Bytes does not step on the partition table, but
still snags the Boot-Sequence information.

The T40 and T41 (and other T-Series?) laptops with preloaded partition are oddballs as I understand it.

What would happen if I just put both (40 and 60 GB laptop drives) on my Desktop under Fedora and
just Did a file System (cpio, tar etc) copy over? Really, the issue is with windows XP, but I am trying to manage it with Linux. The more time I spend on WinXP, the less time I have for Linux!!  Better to have both XP and Linux.

Thanks all!

John Westerdale