[ltp] Problem with X (Radeon 7500)

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:32:07 +0000

On 1/9/06, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/06, Bert Haskins <bhaskins@chartermi.net> wrote:
> > Alex Deucher wrote:

> > >there were some problems with dynamic clocks in the version of xorg
> > >6.8.x radeon driver, which I later fixed.  that's why I asked if you
> > >have tried cvs/6.9/7.0.  I suspect this may actually be related to the
> > >the setup of the memory controller that benh has been trying to fix:
> > >http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2005-December/011679.html
> > >
> > >Alex

> > Please pardon me if I'm being even more dense than usual,
> > but would this whole discussion ( Problem with X (Radeon 7500))
> > also apply to A30s and A31s using the Radon 7500?
>
> the memory controller setup issues apply to all radeons.
>
> Alex
>
> > Thanks,
> >   Bert
> --

for what's it's worth, I've been using ubuntu Xorg on my R40 with a
7500 (32megs) with no issues whatsoever for well over a year now.=20
Before that it ran debian testing (then sarge) with no issues.

here's my device section from xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Technologies, Inc. Radeon Mobility 9000 (M7 LW)"
    Driver      "radeon"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option      "AGPMode"           "4"
    Option      "AGPFastWrite"      "on"
    Option      "EnablePageFlip"    "on"
    Option      "SubPixelOrder"     "rgb"
    Option      "DynamicClocks"     "on"
EndSection

yes, the identifier says 9000, but it really isn't.

other notes:
    I'm not using acpi.  apm works perfectly.
    DRI works fine.
    Various kernels tested, currently using a custom 2.6.15.

Perhaps some more data collection could help?  As in, what laptop
models, bios versions, distro's, X11 versions, reproducibility, etc.,
whether or not they are affected by this.

I really use the hell out of my R40, usually 7 days a week, doing
stuff like compiling, vmware, wine, a game now and again, etc.  I find
it strange that I can run this machine through it's paces, through
many suspend/resume cycles with no reboots for a week or more and
never have any problems with the 7500.

This would seem to indicate to me that it could be a firmware related
issue, perhaps a firmware regression the 7500 code isn't taking into
account.

--
Noah Dain
"Single failures can occur for a variety of reasons that have nothing