[ltp] T22 ACPI Problems

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 7 Jan 2006 15:15:07 -0500

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU

> I am running 2.6.15 and Debian on a T22.
> The below described problem was there with all kernels from 2.6.12
> on, earlier kernels not tested.
>=20
> Everything works fine until some magic point. Then the volume and
> ThinkPad Buttons stop sending any events through /dev/nvram. Also
> rmmod <any acpi related modul> hangs.
>=20
> After a suspend to ram, also all ACPI events stop working. Fixing it
> is only possible with a reboot.
>=20
> This behavior occurs very randomly, sometimes after hours, sometimes
> after days or even weeks. I believe there is some relation between
> plugging in the jack to the hifi, but there is only a time relation.
>=20
> Has anyone any ideas, what to do or where to start searching?

This might be a goose chase, but try setting acpi serialization on in
your kernel command line (in grub or lilo, add acpi_serialize to the
append line).

There seems to be a problem with ACPI and pre-emptive kernels on some
systems.  I didn't have all your symptoms, but I had continual errors in
dmesg and acpi battery info dissapeared sometime after boot.

-m

--=20
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn@kismetwireless.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

As part of Mr. Lee's good neighbor policy, all Rat Things are programmed=20
never to break the sound barrier in a populated area.  But Fido's in too=20
much of a hurry to worry about the good neighbor policy.  Jack the sound=20
barrier.  Bring the noise.  - Snowcrash

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU--