[ltp] Confused about IBM acpi and the MiniDock

JP Renaud linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:07:39 +0000

Hi,

I'd like to use the /proc/acpi/ibm/dock interface to check whether I am
at work or not (the MiniDock sits on my desk at work) and trigger
different events: connect to the right network, choose printers, mount
some samba shares etc...

However, I am a bit confused on how to use /proc/acpi/ibm/dock ...
I run gentoo with ibm-acpi 0.11 and kernel 2.6.14. My Thinkpad is a R51
(1829-9MG).

When i boot my TP R51 docked (or undocked actually) I get:

# cat /proc/acpi/ibm/dock
status:         undocked

If I try to change its status, i get a node device error:

echo dock > /proc/acpi/ibm/dock
bash: echo: write error: No such device

I am feeling a bit stupid here but does anybody have an idea on what I
am doing wrong?

--
JP Renaud