[ltp] r50e: ttyS0 is a NS16550A

Noah Dain linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 21:30:50 +0000

On 1/14/06, James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com> wrote:
> Konstantin Filtschew wrote:
> >> Why not get one of those cheap USB - serial port adapters?
> >
> > I wouldn't recommend an USB - serial port , get a pcmcia solution. They
> > work better and the most important thing ist, they get enough
> > voltage/ampere out to use them like a normal build in serial port (for
> > example for industrial use).
>
> I used one that worked well with a Cisco router and Lucent ADSL system.
> I'd consider that to be "indutrial".
>
> --

if you go the usb->rs232 adaptor route, get a keyspan.  they support
linux, and are generally known to work where other usb->rs232 adaptors
fail.

http://www.keyspan.com/

once i got a keyspan, all the weirdness I had with other usb adaptors vanis=
hed.

--
Noah Dain
"Single failures can occur for a variety of reasons that have nothing