[ltp] Bad hard drive sector

Carlos Moffat linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 13:46:12 -0500

--=-6deTmOqGTtGMGs46aY5i

Hi Bill

> So it appears there is a bad sector (or sectors on the hard drive).=20
> It's a fairly new Toshiba MK6026GAX 60GB.  I understand the drives are
> supposed to reallocate bad sectors automatically, but it appears it
> isn't since the error persists.  Any ideas how I can correct this?  I
> didn't find any other bad sectors in the testing, but might this mean
> the drive is going to be unreliable?
>=20
> Thanks for any input...
>=20
> Bill
>=20

A few months ago I had the same problem with a similar Toshiba drive (a
80GB) one. The drive showed errors as you described and got
progressively worst. For all I could read about, it is a bad idea to
think the problem will go away if you just mark the bad sectors and keep
working with it. The advice I got was to back up as soon as possible and
get a new hard drive, as once they start failing, that's it.

Toshiba hard drives have a three year warranty, and in my case, it took
them 3 weeks to get a new drive to me, which is what I'm using now ;)

Good Luck,
Carlos

--=-6deTmOqGTtGMGs46aY5i

--=-6deTmOqGTtGMGs46aY5i--