[ltp] Bad hard drive sector

Bill Sheppard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:46:21 -0800

To follow-up:

Bill Sheppard wrote:
> Uwe Walter wrote:
>
>> You must give up the content of this sector.
>> Either low level format the drive, or do fill the destroyed file with
>> zeros on your own:
>>
>> http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/BadBlockHowTo.txt
>>
> I saw reference to this error possibly being due to an incompleted write
> operation and fixed upon rewriting the sector.  I know the file
> (/bin/vim), so I did reinstall the vim package, which I presume would
> overwrite the file in place.  I can now run vim fine, but doing a long
> test with smartctl still shows an error in the same place, so perhaps
> vim got rewritten elsewhere and the bad sector is now blank (or waiting
> to be written).  I suppose I could create a very large file to fill most
> of the empty space to ensure it's all written, then delete it, and see
> if that corrects the error.  I'll try that.

I did create a file filling most of the remaining free space, re-ran the
long selftest, and now it reports:

    Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
    LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
    # 1  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%
    1213         -
    # 2  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       00%
    1202         31051297

So it looks like rewriting the sector cleared the error, at least for now.

Thanks everyone for the input...

Bill

Bill Sheppard                                  Industry Marketing Manager
bill.sheppard@sun.com                   Consumer and Mobile Systems Group
(408) 404-1254 (x68154)                            Sun Microsystems, Inc.