[ltp] stock kernel modules not needed on r50e

Dan Jacobson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 00:50:24 +0800

> Here on Debian with stock kernels, /etc/modules is for adding
> modules at boot. What is the file for taking away modules at boot?

< /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist but you should probably create your own
< file so that it will not be overwritten on upgrades. Something like...
< /etc/modprobe.d/local-blacklist ...which would contain...
<  blacklist tsdev
<  blacklist something-else

What are good ones to blacklist here for the r50e?
Maybe I can just say "blacklist xxx..." in /etc/modules?

< /etc/hotplug/blacklist
< #additionally to the regular blacklist
< #this is my personal blacklist (one per line)
< e1000 ipw2200 i2ci801 ieee1394 ohci1394 irda irtty_sir sir_dev
< pcmcia_core yenta_socket pcspkr rtc hci_usb bluetooth l2cap

I only know what a few of those are for. modinfo(8) helps but a
little.  Most of these I don't think I
use every day. Some are wasted for a r50e. Any more I can add?

rcconf(8) says I run these at boot: acpid atd aumix chrony cron dbus-1
inetd klogd makedev smartmontools sysklogd.
Maybe I don't need dbus-1, inetd, makedev on my isolated standalone system?