[ltp] but i810 can't use DynamicClocks

Laurent Gilson linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:34:13 +0100

Hello

> Can't we lower chip temperatures instead of giving up and imposing our
> own fan algorithm?

And fry the chip ? The i810 is not a fast or power-hungry chip. I don't
think it will trigger the fan a lot.

> finds "no savings while decreasing the CPU frequency. Reason enough for
> me to deactivate all CPU-Frequencing options in the Kernel". Therefore
> no need to bother with the CPU.

I don't think his values are correct. You can get false values in cpuinfo,
if the centrino-drivers are not 100% OK. Even the specs from intel say it
helps big time.

And have a look at
http://da.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Undervolt_a_Pentium_M_CPU . It should work
on any centrino, pentium and celeron.

The difference between full speed/full voltage idle and low speed/low
voltage idle is about 8Watt for my R51. Since it only uses about 10 Watt @
low speed/low voltage idle that almost doubles my runtime.

cu