[ltp] cannot start x - ThinkPad T42

Carlos Moffat linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:54:49 -0500

--=-lCcuGcexvWwUso8TcUuA

Hi Joe,

On Fri, 2006-01-20 at 09:41 -0600, Josh Battles wrote:
> I've got a T42 (2373JTU) and I'm having problems getting xorg to run.  I =
was
> running debian testing on for about a year and decided to do a fresh inst=
all
> of debian unstable the other night.
>=20
> When I type in the startx command the screen flashes and I get the follow=
ing
> messages:
>=20
> Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
>=20

I get this messages too. I think they're harmless

> and
>=20
> waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath: FPE "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/m=
isc"
> refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing.
>=20

I don't get this, but you could remove the 'misc' font section in
xorg.conf and see what happends.

> I've checked the logfile (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) and can't see any warnings=
,
> errors, or messages that would indicate what sort of problem this is.  I =
even
> attempted to use the previous xorg.conf I'd been running under the testin=
> install to no avail.
>=20
> What am I missing here?  A point in the right direction would be greatly
> appreciated.  A quick google tells me that there's some other setting I'v=
> got wrong that's preventing X from starting but I can't think of what it
> could be.
>=20
> Also, what drivers are you guys using now?  Is there a tutorial/faq/wiki =
for
> using them?
>=20
> Thanks

What driver are you using? The radeon driver is broken right now in
Debian (and, I think, all distros using Xorg 6.9) so I'm using vesa
instead.=20

Cheers,
Carlos

--=-lCcuGcexvWwUso8TcUuA