[ltp] T43: Overheating?

fire-eyes linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:20:17 -0500

Hello, I am new to this list and new to laptops. Please forgive me if I
make common mistakes, but please point them out also.

I have a new T43 however I am having issues. I run gentoo, which
obviously requires a lot of compiling. I run kernel 2.6.15.1 , with a
patch to the ibm_acpi module to get better fan control (8 levels, also
auto). Auto seems to be default. I also have cpu frequency scaling set
up, managed by cpudyn 1.0.1.

Starting on AC and then compiling results in a very fast temperature
increase to 70C. After a few more minutes, it is 75. On extended
compiles, this can reach 80C, and has even reached 82C.

Am I correct in thinking these temperatures are ludicrous? Even if i put
the fan to 7 (highest), the RPM is only about 4600 - 4800, and that
temperature just goes up and up. Leaving it on auto allows the cpu to
get even hotter.

Now; If I pull the plug and go to battery, the temperature rapidly
drops. I can't tell yet, but I think performance drops as well. I'm not
sure why, i have monitored the frequency via /proc/cpuinfo but no
change, just stays all the way up while compiling.

If I plug it back in, it's still cool. I think this is because I don't
have my runlevels all set up properly yet. Still working on that.

My main questions are: 1) Is as high as 82C considered normal,
acceptable and safe when under extremely heavy load? 2) Does anyone have
any pointers on getting this all under control?