[ltp] vlock + suspend to RAM fails

Felix E. Klee linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 21 Jan 2006 23:30:52 +0100

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:49:39 +0100, "Daniel Maier" <nusse@teamidiot.de>
said:
> > Anyway, my current suspend to RAM script:
>
> Is this all you do for suspending?

Yes, and only very rarely wakeup fails.

It's a T41 with a Radeon 9000 (ATI's latest proprietary drivers) and
kernel 2.6.14.4.

Suspend to disk is another issue.  At the moment, it doesn't work, but I
had it working with another kernel and another version of swsusp.

> I have to reload several modules
> and enable devices through PNP BIOS to make them work again.

Why? What kind of devices are affected on what machine?

> > Now, I only wonder what will happen if the system is under high load
> > when
> > waking up: In this case the consoles may stay unlocked for a
> > considerable
> > amount of time, giving an intruder the possibility to read what's on
> > screen, or perhaps even to get control of the system.
> >
> > Any idea how to avoid that?
>
> You control what is done when suspending and waking up, so it should
> be enough to do the locking first after waking up.

But it's a multitasking OS. :-) The script finishes off in the
background.  Of course, it may be secure nevertheless since "vlock"
should be the first program that the kernel gets instructed to execute
after the system is back from sleep.
--
Felix E. Klee