[ltp] thinkpads and water

Andreas Ntaflos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 04:49:22 +0100

--=-cyR7BGGqFXEfpT3R1GbB

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 19:49 -0500, paul wrote:
> Well, the inevitable happened this morning. I tipped a rather large
> cup of water into my T40p during a scuffle with my dog and a joke with
> my wife. This is something I never though could have happened to me. I
> was always so careful. But I became one of those people this morning
> and I never saw it coming.
[...]

This happened to me, too, a few months ago with my T41p. My girlfriend
accidentally tipped a glass of water I had positioned right next to the
laptop (stupid of me, I know). She was more worried than me about the
incident, the poor thing :)

But no problem whatsoever. As far as I know IBM laptops have a
protective cover built right under the keyboard to (try to) prevent any
liquid from entering the more sensitive parts of the machine. That was
apparently the case with my T41p, I didn't even need to unplug the AC
connector nor the battery, although I tried /really/ quickly to turn it
off by pressing the power button. It even shut down cleanly (thanks to
the ACPI scripts) and would probably have been working happily with
water under the keyboard anyway :)

I then turned it around, let the water run out and we applied the hair
dryer. Then I let it dry off for a few hours and as I turned it on it
was as if nothing had ever happened. Actually my girlfriend did me a
favor with this accident since the water cleaned away the dust and dirt
that accumulated under the keys :)

IBM really makes (made?) great laptops, very sturdy and robust. Water
doesn't disturb them at all it seems :) Although I wouldn't want to try
my luck again.

Andreas
--=20
Andreas "daff" Ntaflos=20