[ltp] thinkpads and water

rsd linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:03:30 -0600

Wow, same thing happened to me (kid, not cat though) about 6 months ago
with a Dr. Pepper.

I drowned the sucker!

Luckily, I had just watched a couple of the videos online on thinkpad
disassembly - so I took it apart and washed the mainboard in distilled
water.  The HD was untouched - thankfully, and so was the power and
mini-pci.  I used a hair dryer for about an hour to get at the places I
couldn't hit with paper towels.

I could never get the sticky out of the keyboard though, so I ended up
replacing that for about 100$ from IBM.  You can really tell that
someone put some forward thinking in the design though, because most of
the liquid did drain from the side.

Glad to hear your machine survived too!