[ltp] T43: Overheating?

Pekka Pessi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:46:41 +0200

fire-eyes <sgtphou@fire-eyes.org> writes:
>I have a new T43 however I am having issues. I run gentoo, which
>obviously requires a lot of compiling. I run kernel 2.6.15.1 , with a
>patch to the ibm_acpi module to get better fan control (8 levels, also
>auto). Auto seems to be default. I also have cpu frequency scaling set
>up, managed by cpudyn 1.0.1.

>Starting on AC and then compiling results in a very fast temperature
>increase to 70C. After a few more minutes, it is 75. On extended
>compiles, this can reach 80C, and has even reached 82C.

>Am I correct in thinking these temperatures are ludicrous? Even if i put
>the fan to 7 (highest), the RPM is only about 4600 - 4800, and that
>temperature just goes up and up. Leaving it on auto allows the cpu to
>get even hotter.

They are quite high. I had a T41 which also heated well over 80°C.
The problem with my T41 was that CPU also warmed up the GPU. The
LCD screen started to flicker when GPU heated over 76°C, so I did
some experiments with some of the T4X laptops lying around in
office. I tested three computers. In those laptops the CPU
temperature did not raise above 66°C even under extensive CPU load
(something like repeately compiling kernel with make -j4).

So I think there may be something wrong with your Thinkpad. It may
be within the design specs, however.

Mine died about week ago under high CPU load (screen started to
flicker, then it shut down). New motherboard should come tomorrow.

--Pekka