[ltp] Re: thinkpads and water

Shannon L. McMackin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:52:30 -0500

paul wrote:
> Well, the inevitable happened this morning. I tipped a rather large cup
> of water into my T40p during a scuffle with my dog and a joke with my
> wife. This is something I never though could have happened to me. I was
> always so careful. But I became one of those people this morning and I
> never saw it coming.
>
> In what seemed like one cat-like motion, I hit the power button as I was
> unplugging the AC and turning it over to release the battery. But had I
> gotten to it in time? In spite of my ninja-like reaction speed, my heart
> was in the process of ripping open as I mentally prepared myself for
> what I new was possible. I pulled the drive out, but luckily no water
> had made it that far...good...my 3 year old Debian SID installation was
> still intact (and backed up for that matter). Though as I took off the
> palm rest and keyboard, I felt like my life was changing gears. I slowly
> took pieces out and laid them in front of fans to dry as I blotted them
> in the areas where the water was pooled.
>
> This is my laptop, my pal, my number cruncher...what had I done?!
>
> My wife was worried that I was in shock, but I assured her I was well
> beyond shock at that point and asked her to leave the room. I mumbled to
> myself and paced as I tried to collect myself. We had some obligations
> this afternoon, so I was forced to leave him in pieces drying
> slowly...perhaps his last moments.
>
> I returned in a hurry and continued the drying process with canned air
> and old t-shirts. I had been gone a mere 3 hours, but the fans had dried
> it entirely with the exception of the keyboard. I managed to get the
> keyboard into a dry state and decided to start putting him back
> together. As I slid the keyboard back under the palm rest and began to
> replace the screws, I couldn't help but debate as to whether I had
> waited long enough for him to dry. I took him apart again and started
> the drying process for one last time. I knew that it wouldn't be time I
> would regret waiting.
>
> I finally pushed myself to reassemble. My movements were slow and
> precise. I couldn't believe that I had my machine apart and wasn't
> simply replacing a worn out keyboard. As I put in the last screw and
> pushed the battery back into place, I sat back for one last deep and
> preparatory breath. I then sat straight back up and reached forward to
> push the power button. I think I must have been squinting in pain
> because I was startled when I saw my Tux bios appear. My eyes shot wide
> open and then...grub!!!!
>
> I am now typing this to you all here at linux-thinkpad.org
> <http://linux-thinkpad.org> in a slightly fragile mental state. However,
> my thinkpad is in fine condition and I have never been more relieved.

I've spilled coffee on my previous laptop, an A30.  After a little
disassembly, some dry time, all was well.

There was an suto-biography written and I can't remember the name of the
author.  His story was about his trials to sail around the world on his
own.  He spoke of a mishap where his ship almost sank in a bad storm.
He had a T23.  He stripped it down and bagged everything in separate
zip-lock bags for later work.  To his amazement, when he assembled
everything it came up and worked.

The importance for him was that this was his only form of communication
with his wife and friends on his long voyages.

Most durable laptops I've seen and I've been using them since the 360CD
that I was given on day-one.

Shannon