[ltp] Firefox/Thunderbird filepicker solution

Sean Dague linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:31:47 -0500

--kvUQC+jR9YzypDnK

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:15:40AM +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
>=20
> >
> >That is quite useful. Typical GNOME to make something like this=20
> >>invisible though.
> >>
> >>BUT, it still takes 25 seconds to appear! There's some sort of timeout=
=20
> >>going on: nothing at all happens for 23 seconds, and then there is abou=
t=20
> >>2 sec of disc/cpu activity. Subsequent times are much faster, until Fx=
=20
> >>is restarted.
> >

> >Wow, that would be quite unbearable for me.  Do you have any network
> >devices bookmarked in your file chooser, or some such?
>=20
> No. It's the default behaviour on at least 2 fresh installs of Mandriva=
=20
> 2006. ! Also true in Thunderbird.

The new GNOME file picker does a scan through all of the current directory
(usually your home) every time it opens. :(  I guess the people that wrote
this have much more organized home directories than the rest of us, as it
consistently takes ~ 30 seconds to come up on my laptop as well.

	-Sean

--=20

--kvUQC+jR9YzypDnK

--kvUQC+jR9YzypDnK--