[ltp] Firefox/Thunderbird filepicker solution

Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:39:57 +0000

Mike Kershaw wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 10:04:23PM +0000, Richard Neill wrote:
>
>>That is quite useful. Typical GNOME to make something like this
>>invisible though.
>>
>>BUT, it still takes 25 seconds to appear! There's some sort of timeout
>>going on: nothing at all happens for 23 seconds, and then there is about
>>2 sec of disc/cpu activity. Subsequent times are much faster, until Fx
>>is restarted.
>

> if I recall, the gnome file widget thrashes the filesystem running stat
> calls on everything in your home dir.  It's going to be slow.

That's the odd thing. There is no activity (no disk, no cpu) for 25
seconds. Then it thrashes for about 2.

Anyway, it's far too slow. Is there a good way to write some sort of
wrapper such that any application which tries to use the GTK filepicker
actually gets the KDE one instead?

Richard