[ltp] Firefox/Thunderbird filepicker solution

Tue, 24 Jan 2006 11:52:56 +0200

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 03:51:35AM +0000, Richard Neill wrote:

> >The new GNOME file picker does a scan through all of the current directo=
ry
> >(usually your home) every time it opens. :(  I guess the people that wro=
te
> >this have much more organized home directories than the rest of us, as it
> >consistently takes ~ 30 seconds to come up on my laptop as well.
>=20
> That can't be it. I'm on a fresh install with a fairly small /home (even=
=20
>  if it is recursively scanning all subdirectories!). The thing is,=20
> there is no disk activity during this period. It "smells like" a timeout.

Precisely.  My home directory is pretty messy and takes a while to load,
but the file chooser pops up nearly instantly, and I can navigate to
other places (with Ctrl+L, or bookmarks) while it is still loading my
home directory.

Does this timeout also happen when you use the file chooser from other
GNOME applications, not just Firefox and Thunderbird?

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Never, ever expect hackers to be able to read closed proprietary document
formats like Microsoft Word. Most hackers react to these about as well as y=
ou
would to having a pile of steaming pig manure dumped on your doorstep.
	-- ESR (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html)

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl

--BXVAT5kNtrzKuDFl--