[ltp] region-free DVD-drive

Tue, 24 Jan 2006 15:22:46 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

I have a ThinkPad with a Matshita UJ-822S, and recently I have discovered that
this DVD drive unfortunately implements region settings in firmware. There does
not seem to be any third party firmware updates[1], and coming from the
region-free NEC-world[2], I find this situation very annoying.

So, I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this predicament[3]. Ideally a
firmware/software solution, but if there is a slim form factor drive out there
with region-free capabilities (hackable or out of the box), naturally I'd be
willing to consider a hardware approach.

TIA,

ivr
[1] <http://forum.rpc-1.com/dl_firmware.php?category=14&manufactor=18>
[2] 1300A, 3520A and 3540/3550 all have region-free "updates" to firmware
[3] I am aware of the regionset tool, but as the number of firmware updates is
locked to 4, it hardly qualifies as a solution.
--
Vystupaet Kirienko s dokladom:
- Do moego naznacheniya na post prem'era strana nahodilas' na krayu propasti.