[ltp] Rescue and Recovery data destroyer

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:16:12 -0500

Did you check out this link?
http://sharadware.com/2005/07/11/suse-linux-winxp-access-ibm-on-the-thinkpad-t43/#comment-165
Using it I can still boot rescue and recovery with GRUB installed on my
MBR. Just the access IBM button doesn't work anymore, but R&R shows up
as a bootable partition you can choose and boot from GRUB menu. The
trick seems to be setting the R&R partition from "compaq diagonistic"
to FAT.

My understanding is that IBM set it to be so to mislead windows so that
XP doesn't mount the partition and therefore viruses or stupid users
won't mess up the backup. It's done by bios.

Here's the non-linux part of my GRUB configuration:

# on /dev/sda2
title		IBM Rescue and Recovery
root		(hd0,1)
parttype	(hd0,1) 0x0b
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	+1

# on /dev/sda1
title		Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root		(hd0,0)
parttype	(hd0,1) 0x12
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader	+1

Try this out! It involves non of the scary MBR manipulation. Just
several lines in the grub configuration files and you can always change
it back anytime.
Jiang