[ltp] Fingerprint reader and the Bios

Torsten Wagner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:12:57 +0100

I agree with Aaron,

someone how is such intrigued to catch my data, can catch my data.
Independent whether I use a finger-print reader, a password or whatever
for log on and boot.
It take him just 30 sec. and a screwdriver to detach my harddisk from my
Thinkpad.
In fact, you all know, that a Linux box is pretty insecure (as all other
OSs) if the bad guy is able to stay physically in front of the computer.
If the guy is a geek and has plenty time, he will try to fake the
fingerprint, but just for fun. If he is in hurry he will just take your
harddisk and plug it into his computer. Nothing easier than that.
Especially for notebooks, with all these slots and modules stuff, the
changing of a harddisk is as easy as insert a CD.   ;)

The finger-print reader is in my opinion as save as a good password. Not
more not less. In addition it is somewhat more user-friendly and has a
geek-factor.

My two cents...

Torsten