[ltp] Rescue and Recovery data destroyer

Torsten Wagner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:02:27 +0100

I just can report the opposite way... :)

One of my friends and I bought notebooks with preinstalled Linux.
Therefore, there was no R&R-partition.
However installed Windows beside works fine.
Once, my friends didn't take care at the IBM software update utility for
windows and installed the software for R&R which is every time announced
on the update-list.
After the installation, Windows likes (as usual) to reboot.... and the
MBR was gone.
It took me Knoppix, BartPE and  some other tools together with two and
half hour time to restore the MBR.
All data was still there, just the MBR was blown... ;)

Conclusion,

Never ever try to create a R&R partition nor install the software for
it, after playing around with Dual-Boot. :D

Bye
Torsten