[ltp] Fingerprint reader and the Bios

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:19:32 -0500

Regarding a camera: I often sit in a cubicle in a room with a drop
ceiling and speckly-patterened ceiling tiles.  If someone hid a small
camera on top of a ceiling tile and ran a small hole/lens/whatever
through the tile, I'd never notice.  Even if I looked.  OK, they need
physical access, but they need physical access to execute any of these
attacks.

Granted, I don't know when my fingerprint has been compromised.  That
is a problem I hadn't thought of.

As far as a complex password being more secure goes, I don't buy it.=20
I think a finger swipe that no one can shoulder-surf is better than a
complex password that no one is likely to shoulder-surf accurately on
the first try.

Finally, I do have my home partition encrypted with a long and complex
password, but that only helps if the attacker is dumb enough to turn
off my laptop once they get it.  I generally suspend or hibernate it,
which means the partition is effectively unencrypted.  I guess if I
was more security conscious, I'd find a way to unmount and remount the
encrypted partition during the suspend/resume, but then I'd be back to
typing in a password in public.

And finally, I don't see asking everyone to turn around or closing the
lid while typing my password.  While that has a security advantage,
IMHO it's outweighed by the social disadvantage.  :)

Thanks,
   Aaron