[ltp] Fingerprint reader and the Bios

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:38:48 +1300

--nextPart2333444.YFrlXjLjBF

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 03:35, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> I don't get this either.  To me, the fingerprint reader is way more
> secure because the only meaningful risk I feel I run is typing in my

When they say it's less secure, they're not talking aboout your login or da=
ta,=20
they're talking THEM helping hackers attack machines THEIR software is=20
installed on by providing add-on code that runs with root privileges as par=
t=20
of THEIR set up.

You are thinking about getting access to your machine.  They are thinking=20
about automating the installation of code that provides a weakness for=20
hackers to exploit.  Since the code in question is proprietary, they can't=
=20
examine it to determine if it has any exploitable weaknesses, and they can'=
t=20
fix it if it does.  Experience has shown that this is not a good idea.

SuSE is doing the right thing here, but it's a different issue than the one=
=20
you appear to think it is.

Cheers,
Bret