[ltp] suspend, T43

lou linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 19:13:17 -0500

On Thursday 26 January 2006 18:21, fire-eyes wrote:
> Lou Yovin wrote:
> > Firt: is there a way to search among the archives here? An FAQ?
> > I may have backed myself into a corner here... I have a T43 with SUSE
> > 10.0 on it. I reinstalled without ACPI to fix a performance problem
> > running VMWare 5.5 with a Windows 2000 guest (needed for development
> > work). That solves my performance problem (at the expense of battery
> > life, although not all that bad). The problem comes when I try to
> > suspend. The screen corrupts (a bunch of multi colored lines and
> > squiggles), and the moon thingie just blinks. The machine is locked up
> > and I can only power it off to get out of it. Anyone with experience like
> > this have any suggestions (other than reinstalling ACPI).
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Hi Lou,
>
> If your T43 is very new like mine is, it's probably using a PATA drive
> with an SATA bridge and it appears as SATA to the system. No current
> kernel has support to actually wake the drive up, thanks to the bridge.
> As far as I know.
>
> I get this info from:
>
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_SATA_and_Linux#Failed_resume_fr
>om_suspend_to_disk
>
> I have tried the suggestions myself, to no avail. My understanding is
> that this is a work in progress. This is what we get for having such new
> hardware ;)

Thanks for the link. It also looks like I messed up the process by not
installing ACPI. I had found some "workarounds" for the VMWare problem, but
they didn't work for me, (could be that I didn't get them right). The VMWare
support people worked extensively with me during the BETA of 5.0 and none of
their magic incantations worked either. I suspect it has something to do with
late level hardware as you suggest. I bought this hard drive just for the
purpose of running Linux on the system while preserving the ability to go
back to "factory" when I need to.

FWIIW: be careful of what brand/model drive you use if you want to swap out
the main drive. I have a Hitachi that causes an error when you power on,
(hitting F1 WILL boot the system though). The Fujitsu I bought works fine
(that is what IBM/Linovo put in the system to begin with).

Thanks again, glad I found this list. I have been running Thinkpads for over
10 years, but this is my first serious experience with Linux.

--

  Lou

    --- __@
   -- _-\<,_

"Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now."