[ltp] Re: UltraBay for dual boot

lou linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 22:54:27 -0500

On Friday 27 January 2006 20:58, Josh wrote:
> Will the Ultrabay work with any laptop hard drive, or
> do I have to buy a special hard drive from Lenovo?
>
> Has anyone done this and is it a good solution?
>
> Thanks

I can't speak for Ultrabay but I had a problem with a Hitachi (may be a
Toshiba, not sure and it is not here right now) booting up from regular drive
slot. As I said, it would boot, but only after hitting the esc. I looked up
the error message at IBM and it said the firmware level may be wrong. They
did not have firmware on their site for that model drive. I later got a
Fujitsu drive and that works well (the original was Fujitsu). I picked up an
extra carrier and header (don't know what the official name is) from eBay and
just swap out the main drive (rarely need to right now). The drive I am using
for Linux/VMWare is 80 G, 5400 RPM. I used an older 4800 RPM drive for a
while but it is noticeably slower (but does run cooler).

I have found a reasonable compromise for my performance versus ACPI problems.
I installed KPowersave and it improves battery life and I can suspend to disk
(hibernate) but can't do a normal suspend without locking up the machine. I
will try living with that. I like to suspend when transporting to save some
time. The hibernate is faster than startup. So far, I am pleased with how it
is running, but haven't tried everything, like DVD's and burning CD's etc.
Good luck in what ever you decide.

--

  Lou

    --- __@
   -- _-\<,_

"Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now."