[ltp] Re: UltraBay for dual boot

Václav Šte(pán linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:18:04 +0100

Josh napsal(a):
> Unfortunately, I need to occasionally boot Windows XP.
>  I am under the impression that I can buy something
> called an UltraBay and put the 40 GB drive from my
> broken Toshiba laptop in it, and then carry around two
> hard drives in the ThinkPad (after removing the CD/DVD
> drive, which I hardly use anyway).  The main 60GB hard
> drive would have Linux on it, and the UltraBay drive
> would have Windows...
>
> Will the Ultrabay work with any laptop hard drive, or
> do I have to buy a special hard drive from Lenovo?

Ultrabay is a name for the technology of the expansion slot, where you can
exchange various devices (not really hot-swap). It is described on the
ThinkWiki
web pages.

There were several versions of Ultrabay - so you need a compatible version,
not just some Ultrabay device.

The Ultrabay hard drives are normal drives in a special frame - you may buy
separately a frame and a disc.

Vaclav Stepan