[ltp] Re: Ultrabay hard drive

Brad Langhorst linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:33:31 -0500

Josh wrote:
>  ... > Will the Ultrabay work with any laptop hard
> drive, or > do I have to buy a special hard drive from
> Lenovo? any drive will work... it's an ultrabay hard
> drive adapter. > Has anyone done this and is it a good
> solution?
>
>> I used to do this back in the days of my 770, but now
> I find it much more
>> convenient to use vmware for when I must use windows.
> brad
>
> I looked at vmware a little bit.  Wouldn't it slow the
> computer down to use Windows as well as programs on
> top of Linux?  For example, running Photoshop and
> Image Ready on Windows in VMware while running Firefox
> and a text editor also?  Or will it work reasonably
> well?  Is there any part of Windows that doesn't run
> well under VMware?
>
> (I have 1GB memory.)

you won't notice much slowdown - especially in full screen mode.

others have mentioned some benefits... but for me the big one is the
ability to roll back to "snapshots" - that makes it easy to test
installations etc. - plus windows just builds up cruft and that rollback
feature helps to de-cruft.

brad