[ltp] the best thinkpad for linux

Carlos Moffat linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:33:50 -0500

--=-I7cQ7A5zaOXRRwy15VzB

On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 09:57 +0100, Pino Giaquinto wrote:
> I wish to buy a new thinkpad... some suggestions?
> I want a laptop VERY COMPATIBLE with linux:
> lan/modem/wifi/suspend/hibernate... etc.

I have a t42p. I haven't tried the modem nor the irda, but everything
else, including suspend to ram, suspend to disk, wifi, bluetooth, etc
etc works great.=20

As for the t43p, my understanding is there are issues with suspend
because of the SATA bridge, although there might be a solution if you're
comfortable patching and recompiling kernels.=20

One things that doesn't work is hot-swap of the DVD drive and a second
battery I have. To be precise, it can be done, but you lose DMA when you
insert the DVD back. For what I've read, it seems more likely that issue
will be solved first for SATA (t43p) than for a t42p.

Carlos

--=-I7cQ7A5zaOXRRwy15VzB

--=-I7cQ7A5zaOXRRwy15VzB--