[ltp] Re: Ultrabay hard drive

Josh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:05:34 -0800 (PST)

> So, if you buy an UltraBay Slim hard
> drive adapter, you can
> put a laptop hard drive in it, install it instead of
> your CD/DVD
> drive, and access it as a second hard drive on the
> machine.  However,
> you won't be able to do a CD/DVD install of any OS
> on it, or access
> any CDs or DVDs from the OS on that drive at all,
> unless you have a
> USB CD/DVD drive or something.

I wouldn't be able to boot Windows XP on a USB CD
drive and install it to the Ultrabay Slim drive?

Could I just buy another Lenovo hard drive and swap it
for my current hard drive to install Windows on it.
Then switch it back and use the Windows drive in the
Ultrabay slim?

http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=

=3D-840&langId=3D-1&partNumber=3D62P4554&storeId=3D10000001

> However, getting back to your original point, you
> should definitely be
> able to dual boot on the main drive of your T43.  I
> think that's a
> much better solution, since you don't have to
> sacrifice your optical
> drive to do it.

I've tried dual booting for a week.  I've done it
successfully quite a few times on other computers but
it didn't work.  Couldn't defragment the drive.
Installed Windows several times.  Defragged over and
over.  Downloaded Diskkeeper trial.  Didn't work.
Just installed Ubuntu on the whole thing.

Now it's too late for dual booting.  I would rather
buy another hard drive than reinstall Linux again.
Reinstalling can take a few days to get everything
back the way I like it.  Actually, takes weeks before
it is completely configured...