[ltp] Re: Ultrabay hard drive

Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:13:54 +0000

> Now it's too late for dual booting.  I would rather
> buy another hard drive than reinstall Linux again.
> Reinstalling can take a few days to get everything
> back the way I like it.  Actually, takes weeks before
> it is completely configured...

To save your existing Linux installation, you can just
(as root) create a tarball of the whole thing. Then, do a quick Linux
install, and untar your backup over it.

Caveats:

1)much easier to do this from knoppix than from  the actual running distro.

2)You may have to edit fstab and lilo.conf and re-run lilo.

3)Don't tar up /mnt /proc /sys and /dev. These should be created afresh
as empty directories.

HTH,

Richard