[ltp] Error Loading OS

Christian Weerts linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 20:50:40 +0100

Eric Cooper schrieb:
> On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 07:02:27PM +0100, Christian Weerts wrote:
>
>>I've got an old 600 Type 2645 with a broken HD (DADA-26480). So i went
>>on and bought an second hand IBM-HD (DARA-206000) to replace the broken
>>HD. Install Debian over the Debian-Network-CD was no problem until I had
>>to reboot. Then my 600 say's "Error Loading OS"!
>>
>>Testing the HD over the Built-In Tools gave no error. What could I do to
>>make the new HD alive? Must I reset anything I don't know of?
>

> Here are a few things to try:
>
> During startup, enter the BIOS (F1 or Del key, I forget, but it says
> which one onscreen).  Make sure the list of boot devices includes the
> HD, and make sure there are no other media in the laptop when you
> reboot.

Done, but there are no changes.

> Try upgrading or reinstalling the BIOS.  You can use an external
> floppy drive, or burn a CD with the BIOS upgrade program on it.
> Google the list archives for details.

For a BIOSUpgrade I need a charged Battery. But the Battery is totally
out of order! Upgrading the current BIOS could help. The latest version
says the following:
	I. Summary of changes version 1.22 - IBET54WW

	    * (New) Support for Microsoft Windows XP
	    * (Fix) OS installation failure with CD-ROM boot

So my last chance is, to boot from Debian-Bootfloppies and install a
base system. Or buy a new battery :).

> Hope this helps.

I hope too, thanks for your help so far.

Greets,
chw