[ltp] HELP NEW HELP NEW !! ??

Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:47:27 +0000

Carlos Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-29 at 21:00 +0000, Carlin Mitchell wrote:
>
>>You guys need to get out more. caps... not really a big deal.

Not in itself, but it's just bad nettiquette.

>> a blank 700 mb cd-r FUJI says ...when you check it.... capacity 670MB, and after that
>>thereis only 660.7 MB available.. that's before its even been touched.

That sounds to me like the difference between MB and MiB. (i.e.
670 x 2^20 and 670 x 10^9) bytes. Unless you are trying to use some
broken windows CD burner which doesn't understand ISO images. Are you
trying to burn the image *as* the CD, or are you trying to to save a
copy of the iso file on a data CD. The latter is wrong, but would give
this symptom.

>> I'm
>>trying to set up slackware and it's telling me there's insufficient buffer
>>size . Give me a day or two and let you know what I learn.

A hint: slackware is great for those who know precisely what they want,
and how they want it. However, for a linux beginner, I'd say it's a bad
idea. It won't "hold your hand" very much. Seriously, the best way to
learn is to start with a fully working system (use a distro which does
everything for you and has automatic configuration tools). *Then* learn
how it works.

For example, it is far less frustrating to learn, eg the bash shell when
you have a working GUI + web browser than it is if you have to know bash
before you can get the installation finished.

Richard