[ltp] Rovclock and Dynamicclocks / Rovclock and T40p

Michael Stilkerich linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:07:51 -0800

Hi,

I just discovered the rovclock page of thinkwiki and have two questions
regarding that tool:

(1) Does anybody here use it on a T40p and can tell me safe values for
underclocking? My Mobility FireGL 9000 comes with 200 MHz memory clock
and 252 MHz gpu clock. Especially the memory clock seems very sensible to
underclocking, which makes artifacts appear on the screen.

(2) The Wiki page says rovclock and DynamicClocks of the radeon driver
complement each other. In my understanding, rovclock can be used to statically
set the clock of gpu clock and memory whereas DynamicClocks does this depending
on the actual load. DynamicClocks would therefore interfere with rovclock, since
it would overwrite changes made by rovclock. Practically the values set via
rovclock don't seem to be changed by DynamicClocks (according to rovclock -i),
so could anyone here explain the difference of the two to me?

Thank you,
-Mike