[ltp] Rescue and Recovery data destroyer

Dave Atkins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 06:45:31 -0600

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 13:28 +0100, igorr+tp@ifi.uio.no wrote:

> The Access IBM button will work fine, provided that 2 things remain
> unaltered: 1) mbr 2) partition type for the HPA

You know, it's funny you said #1, I seem to remember my first linux
install on my T40 really hosing the HPA applications.

But, just recently, I wanted to reload everything, so I started with my
handy-dandy IBM CDs.

The CDs offer the option of restoring the built-in applications, at the
cost of removing all of the partition information.

I ran through the 4 CDs, and on the final reboot, hit "Access IBM" to
install Windows XP. When the Windows install rebooted, it booted to the
"grub> " prompt!

It didn't surprise me at the time, I just booted from CD and did a
"fdisk /mbr" to finish the windows install.

To make a short story long, I finally installed FC4 and re-installed
grub to /dev/hda and it all works like a champ.

But, surprisingly the HPA applications still work fine, "Access IBM"
allows me to do all the tricks it always did, and grub lets me boot XP
and FC4.

Did something change or get patched between the shipped HPA Apps and the
ones on CD from IBM?

D.