[ltp] eth0 or eth1 active ?

Francois Maltey linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
31 Jan 2006 12:43:32 +0100

Hello,

When I use my thinkpad at home near a wifi router

I often get the right solution :
1/     wifi link on eth1 active
2/ ethernet link on eth0 down
and all is perfect.

But sometimes the debian etch boot puts
1/ ethernet link on eth0 active
2/     wifi link on eth1 down
and /etc/init.d/ntpdate service lock the boot for 1 or 2 minutes.

Then I shutdown ethernet link and wake-up wifi link in gnome network monitor.
After I type always the same IP adress, gateway adress, and essid name.

My /etc/network/interfaces is :
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
# The primary network interface
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.0.5
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
wireless-essid Wireless

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.15
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

The problem is the same when I remain or remove the eth0 lines.

How can I force the debian to use eth1 ?
How can I force the system to forget the eth0 link ?

What is the route command which delete a complete iterface
and how can I add a gateway with route ?
I don't understand the man page.

Thanks a lot for your help !

Francois