[ltp] Fan control under ubuntu

Gijs Hillenius linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 02 Jul 2006 14:41:58 +0200

      > Hi, I've been noticing that under ubuntu the fan of the
      > computer starts and never stops until I shut down - which
      > might mean that I don't have power management properly set up.

      > I've been through the thinkwiki http://www.thinkwiki.org/, and
      > saw several sollutions for that. I must say that I don't have
      > very much time (and pacience) to try around patching. Can

Sheesh.

      > anyone recomend something about this issue, or knows
      > http://www.thinkwiki.org/?

      > My system is Thinkpad R51, XP + Ubuntu 5.1, 1Gb Ram
      > (everything else normal)

Well, at least tell us whether modules speedstep_centrino is loaded
and the outcome of maybe cpufreq-info... and also, take the laptop
into the shade :-)

I have a similar Thinkpad, doing Debian Linux-kernel 2.6.15-1-686.  At
start up I do: echo "ondemand" >
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

My fan is as quiet as the er .. mouse.

--
Advancement in position.