[ltp] activating IRDA on a R40

Wolf Wiegand linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 2 Jul 2006 16:08:30 +0200

Hi,

I am totally at a loss here. I'm trying to activate the IR port of my
R40, but nothing at all seems to work. I am using kernel 2.6.17.3 and
I've followed the instructions on thinkwiki.org, which gave me the
following results (this is on Debian unstable):

thinkpad:/home/wolf# /etc/init.d/irda-utils start
Starting IrDA service: irattachWARNING: Error inserting sir_dev
(/lib/modules/2.6.17.3/kernel/drivers/irda/sir-dev.ko): Invalid module
format
Failed to open device /dev/ttyS1: No such device or address
thinkpad:/home/wolf# dmesg | tail -1
sir_dev: exports duplicate symbol sirdev_set_dongle (owned by kernel)

Why is sir_dev needed at all? I thought this was just for serial IR.
Which entries in /etc/modules.conf are needed? The instructions on
http://thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_use_of_IrDA are confusing.

thinkpad:/home/wolf# modprobe nsc_ircc
thinkpad:/home/wolf# dmesg | tail -4
nsc-ircc, Found chip at base=0x02e
nsc-ircc, driver loaded (Dag Brattli)
IrDA: Registered device irda0
nsc-ircc, Found dongle: HP HSDL-1100/HSDL-2100

I am not using udev or hotplug. Can anybody give me some advice?
Sorry for not asking any smarter questions, but (as stated above) I
am totally lost. Which modules do I really need? Which provides
the connection from /dev/ttyS1 to the IR port?

Thanks in advance,

Wolf
--
Büroschimpfwort des Tages: Saftbereiter - statt Sachbearbeiter. (Manfred
Bremicker)