[ltp] Trackpoint and mouse - scroll doesn't work

Tue, 04 Jul 2006 20:50:32 +0100

Piotr Wydymus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got an T23. Third button of trackpoint is configured as scroll - and work
> fine.
>
> Unfortunately when i try to use mouse and trackpoint in the same time, scroll
> in mouse won't work properly. I mean, when i push it and move mouse it work
> as scroll - but it's not exacly as it should be. ;)

Unfortunately, the PS/2 port and the Trackpoint are the same mouse (on
pre-synaptics thinkpads); they both are connected "in series"
internally, and both write to /dev/psaux.

The BIOS has an option for what to do in this case; you can disable one
or the other, but you can't make them independent.

So you can't do what you want to do, unless you use a USB mouse.

Otherwise, your config is correct.

> A'propos. In /dev/input i've got three devices: /dev/input/mice
> and /dev/input/mouse0 (this is mouse, or trackpoint?). Also i've
> got /dev/input/ts0. What's that?

/dev/input/mice is a kernel-generated hybrid virtual mouse device. All
mouse events from all mice get copied there.

/dev/input/mouseX  (for all values of X) are the actual mice; usually
X=0 corresponds to /dev/psaux.
You can tell which is which thus:
    cat /dev/input/mouseX       (as root)
while moving the different mice, and seeing which one prints garbage to
your terminal.

Ideally, you need to write some udev rules to create named, repeatable
symlinks eg /dev/input/trackpoint -> /dev/input/mouse0

I have no idea what /dev/input/tsX actually is, but by experiment, you
can't use the ts devices as mice.

> My xorg.conf:
>
> Section "ServerLayout"
>         Identifier     "X.org Configured"
>         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
>         InputDevice    "TrackPoint" "CorePointer"
>         InputDevice    "Mouse" "AlwaysCore"
>         InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> EndSection
>
> [...]
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "TrackPoint"
>         Driver      "mouse"
>         Option      "Protocol" "PS/2"
> #       Option      "CorePointer"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
>         Option      "Vendor" "Sysp"
>         Option      "EmulateWheel" "on"
>         Option      "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier  "Mouse"
>         Driver      "mouse"
> #       Option      "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
>         Option      "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
>         Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
>         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection

Note: what you have actually done here is to create 2 devices (in
xorg.conf) which use the same device (in /dev/).  This makes no sense,
and I suspect that xorg.conf is ignoring the second stanza
[psaux is already open; I bet you have AllowMouseOpenFail enabled].
Then, you just have the external PS/2 mouse acting exactly the same way
as the trackpoint.

Best wishes,

Richard