[ltp] Trackpoint and mouse - scroll doesn't work

Wed, 05 Jul 2006 02:03:18 +0100

Piotr Wydymus wrote:
>>Unfortunately, the PS/2 port and the Trackpoint are the same mouse (on
>>pre-synaptics thinkpads); they both are connected "in series"
>>internally, and both write to /dev/psaux.
>

> Ha, thanks. It's pity.

Just a thought - have you discovered how to use the trackpoint
sensitivity settings?  I find that it is much nicer to use when the
sensitivity is set to 255 (default=128).

If you haven't, try it. You may decide you never want an external mouse
again!

[details are on thinkwiki]

>>The BIOS has an option for what to do in this case; you can disable one
>>or the other, but you can't make them independent.
>

> I've noticed that, but in case I use WiFi, and disconnect my T23 from dock
> many times it isn't a solution.

>>So you can't do what you want to do, unless you use a USB mouse.
>

> Ha, good idea. But the question is: "Why in Windows XP everythink works fine?"
> i.e. "third button scroll" in trackpoint works, and mouse scroll too - in
> traditional way?

Let me guess - in WinXP, you don't have a working Middle-click on the
external mouse [press the scroll-wheel] ?

>>Note: what you have actually done here is to create 2 devices (in
>>xorg.conf) which use the same device (in /dev/).  This makes no sense,
>>and I suspect that xorg.conf is ignoring the second stanza
>>[psaux is already open; I bet you have AllowMouseOpenFail enabled].
>>Then, you just have the external PS/2 mouse acting exactly the same way
>>as the trackpoint.
>

> Fact. But i've tried also /dev/input/mouse0 /dev/input/mice instead of one
> psaux. The only difference was that in one case third trackpoint button
> and "scroll" worked as hmm... "mark tool" (?) - I mean it marked like Shift +
> cursor.

The mouse button mappings can get a bit weird sometimes! xev will show
you what is actually happening.

Regards,

Richard