[ltp] Bluetooth via vmware

Wed, 05 Jul 2006 15:06:57 +0100

Torsten Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> hopefully, this question is not completely off-topic...
> Now that an additional external harddrive gives me lots of additional
> dksk space, I installed vmware with WinXP as the guest OS. Now, I'm
> wondering whether the R52 bluetooth adapter can be used in Windoze. I
> found some bits via google, esp. that one had to unload the driver in
> Linux to make the device available to vmware. Is this true? Did anybody
> around here manage to use Bluetooth in vmware/WinXP on a Thinkpad?

When I tried VMWare 2 years back, I had a very similar situation with a
USB device. Yes, you must unload the Linux driver (think of 2 processes
trying to access the same file). Whether it will then work in vmware, I
can't say.

2 other thoughts:

1)For those who don't want to pay for vmware, try Qemu. It's really very
good.

2)Also try running your windows app (the one that wants bluetooth) under
wine.

Best wishes,

Richard