[ltp] PCMCIA Interrupt Nastiness

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:31:29 -0400

With recent kernels, I cannot use CompactFlash memory cards (in a PCMCIA
sleeve) without adding disable_clkrun=1 to the module parameters for
yenta_socket. This seems to have a nasty side effect (not sure if it's
related): whenever there is I/O to the card, the system is very sluggish,
including peripherals like the mouse pointer--it jumps around rather
annoyingly when you try to move it (Trackpoint/Touchpad). I'm guessing the
PCMCIA controller is sending a flood of interrupts that are crowding out
other peripherals. Does anyone know what the deal is with PCMCIA recently and
if there is anything I can do to fix it? Kernel is 2.6.17.3.

Incidentally, I used a CardBus WLAN card (rt2500) today in ad-hoc mode without
noticeable issues. Usage was not too heavy however.

--
Andrew Barr | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/