[ltp] My next ThinkPad

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:26:40 +0100

On Friday 07 July 2006 19:44, Stephen Ryan wrote:

> What other features do you care about?  The T30 is faster than the
> T23, but also much hotter and less power-efficient, so my friends
> advised me to avoid that one completely.

Thanks for that advice;
I had been thinking of a T30, but probably won't look at it now.

Talking of temperature, my T20 bombed out at 92C this afternoon
(as measured in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/)
I guess the fan must have stopped for some reason.

But I was looking at the temperature after that,
and it seems to go up and down surprisingly far,
although it is usually 48-50C.

> The T40 is faster, cooler,
> more power-efficient, and (unfortunately) correspondingly more
> expensive.  From the outside, the T40 and the T23 are *very* similar,
> in size, weight and appearance.  Since I was after cooler and more
> power-efficient, I ended up spending the extra for the T40.  How much
> those features are worth to you is a different story.  Since you're
> happy with a T23, it's unlikely that anything past the T40 will be
> interesting, since those are likely to be more than double the cost of
> a T23.

That sounds nice - I'll definitely look out for a T40.

> *If* you care about light weight, you might consider the X series
> ultraportables as well; enough people do care about that to make it a
> viable product, but you do give up a couple of inches of screen size
> and the built-in optical drive.

To be honest, I have not yet recovered from my experiences
with my 2 Sony Picturebooks yet.
(Everything seemed to go wrong with them at the same time.)

Thanks again for sharing your experience with a ThinkPad virgin.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366